Bamboo fibre is growing popular among keto dieters looking for low-carb, high-fibre ingredients. But is it suitable for the ketogenic lifestyle? This complete guide covers everything you need to know about using bamboo fibre on keto.
What is Bamboo Fibre?
Bamboo fibre is extracted from the bamboo plant and contains high amounts of insoluble fibre. It does not contain any digestible carbohydrates, protein or fat.
Bamboo fibre mainly comprises cellulose and lignin, which humans cannot break down or absorb. This makes it a zero-net carb food - perfect for keto!
Benefits of Bamboo Fibre for Keto
Here are some of the top reasons keto dieters use bamboo fibre:
- Provides insoluble fibre without digestible carbs
- Helps keep you feeling full and satisfied
- Promotes regularity and improves digestive health
- Stabilizes blood sugar levels and insulin response
- Supports the growth of good gut bacteria as a prebiotic
- Easy to add to recipes like baked goods, smoothies, oatmeal
How Much Bamboo Fibre Per Day on Keto?
There is no set guideline for how much bamboo fibre to eat on keto. Aim for 25-35 grams of fibre per day. Start with 2-3 grams of bamboo fibre and assess tolerance.
Too much bamboo fibre at once can cause digestive issues. Increase slowly while drinking plenty of fluids.
Delicious Bamboo Fibre Keto Recipes
Here are some tasty ways to add more bamboo fibre to keto:
Keto Granola with Bamboo Fibre
- 170 grams of almond flour
- 60 grams of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 10 grams of bamboo fibre
- 50 grams of coconut oil, melted
- 60 ml sugar-free maple syrup
- 5 ml vanilla extract2 grams cinnamon
- 1 gram salt
- 60 grams of mixed nuts and seeds
Steps to Make Keto Granola with Bamboo Fibre
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spread on a baking sheet in thin layers.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes at 300F until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely before breaking into granola pieces.
Keto Bread with Bamboo Fibre
- 360 grams of almond flour
- 30 grams of bamboo fibre
- 5 grams of baking powder
- 3 grams salt
- 5 ml apple cider vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 45 ml water
How to make Keto bread with Bamboo Fibre
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Mix in wet ingredients.
- Pour into greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 60-70 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Keto Protein Bars with Bamboo Fibre
- 25 grams of vanilla protein powder
- 60 grams of almond butter
- 30 grams of coconut oil
- 10 grams of bamboo fibre
- 10 grams of cocoa powder
- 1 gram of salt
How to make keto protein bars with Bamboo Fibre
- Mix all ingredients until a dough forms.
- Press into a pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Cut into bars and enjoy.
Tips for Using Bamboo Fibre on Keto
Follow these tips to reap the benefits of bamboo fibre:
- Start with small amounts and work up slowly
- Make sure to drink plenty of fluids
- Blend smooth before eating to maximise digestibility
- Store in an airtight container away from moisture
- Use in moderation as part of the balanced keto diet
The Verdict: Bamboo Fibre and Keto
Bamboo fibre can be an excellent addition to a well-formulated ketogenic diet thanks to its high insoluble fibre and zero net carbs. Include it in your daily fibre intake for digestive regularity, blood sugar control, gut health and weight management.